Saturday, December 1, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


We spent Thanksgiving with J's family.  Instead of coming back home with Thanksgiving leftovers, we came home with a fresh butternut squash from J's mom's garden. Which, in my opinion, is something to be thankful for.

After my acorn squash fiasco, I had no interest in peeling a butternut squash.  Unfortunately most of the recipes I found called for peeling and cubing the squash, so I had to use the roasting method from this recipe, but followed the rest of the basic method from this recipe.  And then I added spices to meet my fancy. 

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
1 butternut squash
1 carrot (or about 4-5 baby carrots), chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (I added this on a whim because I didn't have celery)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2  Tbs and 1/4 tsp olive oil, divided
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Spices (adjust according to taste):
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Prick butternut squash with a fork all over.  (Using a sharp knife would probably be easier, but stabbing a squash with a fork is so much more fun). Roast in the oven for about 1 hour. Allow to cool.  When cool enough to touch, cut in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds and fibers.  Scoop out the pulp into a bowl and set aside. 

Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a large pot.  Cook carrots, onion, and bell pepper for about 8-10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent. Push vegetables to the sides of the pot. Add garlic and and remaining 1/4 tsp of olive oil. Saute for about 30 seconds and then incorporate with the rest of the vegetables. Add chicken broth and squash pulp.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add spices according to taste. (I added about 1/2 tsp of each until it met my liking). 

Allow to cool a bit and then puree in batches in the blender. (Or use an immersion blender.) Taste and adjust seasonings again. 

No comments: