Monday, July 1, 2013

Guest Post: Pomegranate Beet Salad

 

Hello friends! I just got back from a conference in San Francisco and I am working on some great recaps on my travels, including some more posts on my vacation in Montreal! In the meantime, here is a light and healthy recipe from my friend Rose from Just Prepare It Deliciously! – Cheryl

Hello everyone!! I’m Rose, author of the blog Just Prepare It Deliciously, where I focus on simpler, healthier meals (but with occasional treats too). Cheryl is one of my closest friends and all-time favorite bloggers. She even wrote a guest post for my blog last year so today I’m only too glad to return the favor.

I am especially excited to be writing for Cheryl’s Healthy Living series, which has become my favorite part of Food Judicata. Reading her blog on Mondays always helps motivate me to make a healthy plan for my week.

Regarding this recipe, I love eating salads. There’s just something about the way that your body feels when something so good for you that makes me happy. Not to mention with swimsuit season underway, for me eating healthier is a must.

Like Cheryl, I like to use fruits and vegetables that are in season. When I read that beet season peaks in June, I decided that would be one of my ingredients. Since I had never made any dishes with fresh beets before so this was a new experience for me, I read up on beets on Real Simple. As suggested, I separated the beets from the greens (which you will see photographed below).

Now while I’ve read that many recipes call for beets totally raw, I microwaved my beet for 4-5 minutes in advance of using in this recipe, then peeled and cut it up, which is how my mom preps her beets whenever she makes a beet recipe.

So without further ado…the salad.

Pomegranate Beet Salad

Beet Salad 3

Ingredients:

  • ½ a Pre-packaged Spinach Mix
  • One large Beet, raw or cooked, cut into pieces
  • 3 Tbsp Goat Cheese Crumbles
  • 2 Tbs sliced almonds
  • 3 slices of turkey, torn
  • 3-4 Tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
  • 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
  • Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (I used Annie’s Naturals)

Directions:

  1. Pour salad mix into a bowl.
  2. Add beets, goat cheese, almonds, turkey, pomegranate seeds, and sliced cucumber.

Beets 1

    3.   Divide and serve.

Yield: 2 servings

2 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for hosting me; I had a great time preparing this dish =)

MP said...

Yay I love all these ingredients!