Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pumpkin Curry Soup

 

20140105_140828

Week 2 of my “new recipe” New Year’s resolution and going strong! When I told J. about my resolution, he made one request – to use up ingredients in our cabinets and fridge! Since we have about half a dozen cans of pumpkin stocked up in our cabinets, I knew I had to do something with them.  And since one of the requirements of the new recipe resolution was that it had to be “healthy,” pumpkin pie was out of the question.  (Plus, who eats pumpkin pie in January?  That is a dessert I personally reserve for Thanksgiving.) 

So after some google searching, I found this recipe for this Thai pumpkin soup, which was perfect for the cold single-digit weather we had this week!  But since it calls for ingredients that I usually have in my pantry and is ready in minutes, I would make this any time of the year.

Pumpkin Curry Soup

Adapted from Foodie Crush

Ingredients:

  • 2  14.5 oz cans pureed pumpkin
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1  14.5 oz light coconut milk
  • 2 Tbs red curry paste
  • 1-2 tsp fish sauce (to taste)
  • A few dashes of sriracha sauce (to taste)

Method:

  • In a medium sized pot, toast the curry paste for about a minute over medium high heat.
  • Add chicken broth and pumpkin, stir until smooth and cook until it reaches a boil, about five minutes.
  • Stir in coconut milk, and cook until heated through, about another three minutes
  • Season with fish sauce and sriracha to taste and serve.

No comments: