Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mahi Mahi with Corn and Black Bean Salsa

 

20140204_200643

This was a completely improvised, but healthy and delicious meal I made tonight! When I came home tonight, I already had frozen mahi mahi filets defrosting in the fridge, but I wanted to do something a little different with it.  We also had half a can of black soy beans in the fridge, so I rummaged around the fridge and freezer to see what else I could do with this.  I had seen restaurants serve fish with corn and beans before (like at Chandler’s Crabhouse during our trip Seattle), so I whipped together this mild salsa with odds and ends I had in the fridge and steamed some broccoli to go on the side. The result is what you see here, a colorful, tasty dish!

Ingredients

For the fish:

  • 4 mahi mahi filets
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

For the salsa:

  • 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen which I defrosted in the microwave, but if it’s in season, fresh would be best)
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
  • handful of grape tomatoes, chopped (or a whole plum tomato would work nicely here too)
  • 1 Tbs grated onion
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • 1 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
  • seasoning salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • juice from half a lime (or more to taste)

Variations

  • Substitute parsley with cilantro, if you are not cilantro-averse like me
  • Substitute bell pepper with a finely chopped jalapeno for a spicy kick
  • Some cubed avocado would be an excellent addition, but my avocado was not ripe yet

Method:

Preheat oven at 450 degrees

Prepare the fish: lightly oil a roasting pan with olive oil.  Place filets in pan.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle a little more olive oil on the fish.  Roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

While the fish is cooking, prepare the salsa by combining ingredients into a bowl.  Set aside.

When fish is cooked, plate it and top with salsa, and an extra drizzle of lime juice.

No comments: