Friday, March 29, 2013

Breakfast Tacos


Remember when I first talked about breakfast tacos after my trip to Austin?  Well, it took a few months but I finally got around to re-creating them at home.  And I'm glad I did because a bite into these is enough to remind me all the good eats in Austin!

The beauty of breakfast tacos, unlike the pillow-sized breakfast burrito you might see at your favorite brunch place, is their portion control, which makes them much more figure-friendly.  Breakfast tacos are small, portable, and can be eaten in just a few bites.  And they come together in minutes.  I am able to to whip up two tacos for myself in the morning before work.  (When I am cooking for two, it takes a little longer to cook the eggs since there are more of them, so I reserve those for weekend breakfasts). 


See how the taco is a nice hand-held size?

There is a lot of flexibility in the fillings, I made these meatless to make it simpler to make a quick weekday breakfast.  But you could certainly add bacon, chorizo, sausage, whatever you like.  Just go easy on the filling on each taco.  Overfilling tacos = mess. 

Another tip I learned from my friend Molly, is to make a big batch of the fillings, assemble the tacos, wrap in foil and freeze for an even quicker weekday breakfast.  She gives a vegan breakfast taco tutorial here.  I want to try this with a non-vegan version, but I am unsure how well scrambled eggs do in the freezer. Perhaps replace them with hashbrowns?

Quick Breakfast Tacos
(makes 2 tacos, but can be easily doubled to make more)

1 large egg
splash of milk
2 Tbs shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbs Black bean dip (I used Desert Pepper brand, can substitute re-fried beans, or regular canned beans)
1/4 avocado, diced
5-6 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (I used sriracha.  Conventional? No.  Delicious? Yes, very much so.)
2 6" corn tortillas (or flour tortillas, if you like)
Cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste

Beat egg with a splash of milk.  Spray a small pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat.  Add egg and cook to your desired level of doneness.  Remove from heat and set aside on a plate. Season egg with salt and pepper to taste.  

Heat another pan over medium-high heat.  Add tortillas and heat the first side for about 10-15 seconds.  Flip, let it heat up for about another 5-10 seconds, then carefully sprinkle cheese onto the tortilla.  Continue to heat until cheese is melted.  Once melted, transfer to plate.  Top with beans, avocado. tomatoes, and hot sauce.  Take a bite and pretend that you are enjoying the fun and live music in Austin.

Some interesting links about breakfast tacos..
Recipe from the Homesick Texan
Where to find breakfast tacos in NYC
A short video about breakfast tacos featuring Fonda Nolita in NYC

No comments: