Monday, March 18, 2013

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Corned Beef


Perhaps you celebrated St. Patrick's Day a little too hard  this weekend.  Or maybe you didn't.  Either way, there's always the same question, what to do with the leftover corned beef? My sister's solution was to send some of it home with me, which I was more than happy to oblige.

Since I didn't actually get to eat the corned beef at my sister's house this year, I wanted to make something similar to the traditional corned beef and cabbage, but different enough that I wouldn't be bored with it.  While I love corned beef, I actually don't care much for cabbage.  And since I never had brussels sprouts as a kid, I don't have the same aversion to it as many people do.  When roasted to a rich caramelized color, brussels sprouts actually become much more flavorful than its limp, bland cousin.

So here is a lighter take on the traditional corned beef and cabbage, that you can make to make with leftover corned beef, to make up for a weekend of high-calorie debauchery.  Or just make it because it tastes good.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Corned Beef

1 lb brussels sprouts, sliced in half
3 oz (about 3/4 cup) cooked corned beef, diced
1 Tbs olive oil
2-4 tsps dijon mustard, divided
freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss sprouts and corned beef in roasting pan with oil, 2 tsps mustard, and black pepper until sprouts and beef are well-coated.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping over sprouts and corned beef once, about halfway through cooking time.  When sprouts are fully cooked and browned, transfer to a bowl or plate. Stir in1-2 tsps of mustard and more ground pepper, if desired. Serve as a side dish (or half of it as a meal as I did.  I won't tell anyone that you did.)

No comments: